Thinking ‘positive’ after testing positive

ATENEO women's basketball standout Trina Guytingco was very careful with everything to prevent COVID-19 by dilligently following health protocols - wearing a mask, washing hands frequently and practicing social distancing - when she attended a basketball combine in Las Vegas three weeks ago.

"I think I did a pretty good job, I thought I was. When I went to this camp, I spent three days with just a whole bunch of women, playing basketball. A couple of days later, I started feeling sick. Then I received news that one of my teammates tested positive for COVID," said Guytingco during a recent "So She Did!" vodcast.

"So, when I started to feel symptoms, started to have fever, a really bad headache, and there was sore throat, lose of appetite, just a lot of body aches. It was just very nerve-wrecking and I didn't know what was about to happen just because when you have having contact with the virus, it just messes with your head. You keep on thinking about the tragic stories of COVID-19 like what if you deteriorate all of a sudden," she added.

Guytingco got herself tested in a school-turned-COVID 19-testing facility in Pleasant Hill in California, where the Lady Eagle  is staying since last March after the Philippines went on a Luzon-wide lockdown.

The testing was free, but the downside was it took long for the result to come out.

Not taking anything chances, Guytingco treated this like a positive case, going into a 14-day quarantine.

“When I got sick, I had to treat myself like I had COVID because my friend I had contact with had COVID. I treated myself like I was positive and my family treated me like I was positive," said Guytingco.

"They did their best to wear masks, disinfect properly everything and anything I could’ve possibly touched, and I was just in my room for a whole two weeks,” the 5-foot-7 guard added.

It was a couple of weeks when Guytingco's COVID-19 test finally came back positive.

Guytingco's feeling right now is amazing with a lot of caution with the coronavirus still on her mind.

"Since I passed the 14-day quarantine mark, I've been able to go outside for a walk but, obviously, with a mask on. We still don't know how much this virus can get. I don't know when I'm 'safe'," said Guytingco, who just graduated two months ago.